Body chains are quite pricy and it's hard to find the perfect fit, why I decided to design and construct my own. How to below!
What you need to make the same chain as me:
- 2 - 3 meters of gold chain. I ordered mine from UK through Ebay.
- Jumprings to connect the chain pieces
- 2 lobster clasps or corresponding
- a pair of small pliers of some sort
- something to cut the chain with
- optional, rough thread to construct a prototype
1. Optional. Construct a prototype using the thread to make the chain customised to your body. I used crochet thread. Tie threads in front of a mirror to achieve the look you like.
2. Take your prototype off. Trace thread along the prototype to create the pieces that you will use as template for the chain.
To make my body chain this is what I used. I'm 172 cm (5'8'') tall and wear european size 34/36 XS/S.- two pieces (right and left) that will go around the neck (30 cm each)
- one front-piece (6 cm)
- one back-piece (30 cm)
- two short waist-pieces (41 cm) these are the top two on the prototype
- two long waist-pieces (51 cm) the lower two
3. Measure the gold chain against the template strands and cut the gold chain accordingly.
4. Connect the chain using jumprings! Use the pliers to open and close the jumprings. There will be one jumpring at every place that strands of chain meet. I used 4 rings, plus 4 more for the lobster clasps.
Taking the prototype off, I noticed that the "short waist-pieces" passed very tightly over my shoulders so this is where I decided to use the lobsters to prevent the chain from breaking when I take it on/off. I placed the clasps at the end of the short waist-pieces to be connected in the back.
5. Finito! Wear it :D